Re: Spec [insert car]

To: "Auto Cross" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spec [insert car]
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:40:25 -0500
>  Point: Forget the miatas and road racers. Why not a Spec [insert cheap
> car] Solo2 class? Fixed cost for setup. All cars are identical. Best
> driver wins. Or is it still a bad idea because the road racers thought
> of it first?
===================================
We had that, sorta, in the old BS and DS in Miatas and Neons respectively.
Dunno about the Miata drivers but ALL the Neon folks were very open about
their setups.

Heck, at my first Nats in '99 I was standing around listening to Daddio and
a few others talking in grid during the Friday Neon Super Solo, trying to
glean some wisdom from them.  Someone mentioned "rotation" and I piped up
saying that I just couldn't get my car to rotate.  Daddio turns and asks me
if I'm running any rear toe out.  "Nope" I say.  "Well come on then, let's
go adjust your rear camber."

The next thing you know I've got the (soon to be) DS National champion under
the back end of my car adjusting my toe for/with me.  THAT left the single
most favorable lasting impression on me about Solo drivers.  :^)

As to _any_ fixed cost ideas, nope, they'll never work.  That's the concept
that's currently trying to screw up the non-broken Stock shock rules.

BTW, why don't we (I work corners too) see any 2nd gen MR2s road racing in
the SCCA?  Seriously.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon R/T (see-dan)
#69 STS