Re: Spec [insert car]

To: Auto Cross <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spec [insert car]
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 10:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
> The next thing you know I've got the (soon to be) DS National
> champion under
> the back end of my car adjusting my toe for/with me.  THAT left the
> single
> most favorable lasting impression on me about Solo drivers.  :^)

That's great! I've had similar type experiences in ES with people very
open about what they are running, which is one of the reasons I love
running it. It's probably the closest thing we have to a cheap spec
class, but we can still get out of control with $5000 shocks, $1600
wheel sets, expensive option package swaps, etc. Luckily for most of
us, the shocks and such don't seem to yeild night/day results on this
car for some reason (or nobody has proven it to be absolutely necessary
yet), so you can still be competitive on a budget.

It would be cheaper to buy a car, unplug or remove options not allowed,
buy a $2000 coilover kit, $500 in intake/exhaust kit, and have a car
that handled MUCH better.

> As to _any_ fixed cost ideas, nope, they'll never work.  That's the
> concept
> that's currently trying to screw up the non-broken Stock shock rules.

True, when there's no specific brand/model that you have to run. If
everyone had to buy, say, a suspension kit from X manufacturer who the
SCCA negotiated a deal with to make it reasonably priced the only way
someone would have to spend more money than the kit cost is if it broke
or over many years wore out. People that would revalve this kit are the
same people that would revalve a stock shock (if the rules were OEM
only) and are the same people that are probably cheating some way or
another right now. Quite frankly I don't think there are too many of
them in this organization. Or, just make the shocks of the
non-rebuildable type like the friggin Konis on my MR2.

> BTW, why don't we (I work corners too) see any 2nd gen MR2s road
> racing in
> the SCCA?  Seriously.

Refer to my rant about the engine sucking wind. At least that's the
story with the NA car. If it had no torque it'd be a poor autocross car
too. I believe it peaks around 4k and is grossly flat after that. You
would basically be a noisemaker down the straightaway that everyone
else would hear as they passed you. It's to old to run showroom stock I
think, and intake/exhaust mods don't do crap for the engine, I belive
the weak link is actually the head (angle, lift, etc.). It shares an
engine with the bottom-end Camry for cryin out loud!

The turbo would be a fun track car, dunno why you don't see any of
those.

Randy
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com