Re: Tech at Nationals

To: samandgreg@qwest.net, strano@stranoparts.com, eric@mail.brown911.com,
Subject: Re: Tech at Nationals
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:58:44 EDT
Sam writes:

> So, Stock and Street Prepared with roll bars are not a concern when it
> comes to
> roll bar height?  Hmmm, kinda curious.  Seems like they (Stock) roll more
> often
> than a Prepared or Modified.  So whose roll bar and driver restraint (Stock
> -Sec 13.2.G&H and Street Prepared -Sec 14.2.G) should tech be checking (Sec
> 3.3.2 and Sec 3.3.3.P)?

Here's a little perspective and history.  Since open SP and Stock cars don't
have to have a rollbar at all, one that meets all the construction rules, but
not the height rules is better than none at all.

In about '85 or so, a couple from CA went to the Nationals in a CSP Datsun
2000.  Their rollbar didn't meet height requirements (no exceptions back
then), so they had to take it out before competing.  Yeah, boy, they were
safe now...

Requiring rollbars that meet Appendix C in these daily driven cars just
doesn't match with OE soft tops in many cases.  So, I think more people are
better off with the current rules...

CHD