Re: Why concrete?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why concrete?
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:00:40 -0400
The main problems we have encountered with using asphalt surface autox lots
is the tendency to break up, especially where fuel and oil spills have taken
place.  For instance, the TMS lot, which generally has RV's, SUV's, Trucks,
Cars, and various pit bikes, etc. parked on it during races, along with
dumping of used charcoal, and body fluids.  Vehicles of all types,
especially those with a bit of age on them, tend to leak fluids of some
type, and when you place a course with a turn, regardless of severity of the
turn, on a section where fuel, oil, and other chemicals have been allowed to
soak into the surface, the lot will break up.  The other problem is standing
water, which over time seems to create potholes.  The surface we ran on at
the Houston Divisional last weekend was a great example of what can be done
on asphalt, till it rained.  It's old, uncoated asphalt, and provides
excellent grip untill the least amount of water hits it, then it tends to
bring dust to the surface, creating an ice skating type surface.  Concrete
tends to maintain some amount of grip when it rains, unless the water
puddles.  Otherwise, it's still pretty much pedal to the medal.  I'll take
concrete wherever I can find it.  At the same time, I won't turn my nose up
at asphalt...

Phil O.