Re: SCCA national office move

To: Rick Cone <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: SCCA national office move
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:33:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Rick Cone wrote:

> It's also better form to put your replies at the beginning of a thread
> versus the end. :)

Actually, that's called top-posting, and is the center of a whole
different holy war.  I'm not going there.

> > The problem with basing location on where the membership lives is that it
> > is much less of a hardship, individually, for all the east coast people to
> > drive an additional two hundred miles than it is for any of the west coast
> > people to drive an additional 1000-1500 miles.  As I posted following Mark
> > Sirota's comment on population center, "efficient" doesn't mean "fair".
>
> I would disagree whole heartedly, and fair is relative to he/she that thinks
> is getting the short end of the stick.  And NO ONE on the west coast would
> have to drive an additional 1500 miles.
>
> See Here:
>
> Seattle to Birmingham would be an extra 750 miles, its only an extra 500 for
> LA, San Fran come in at about 100.  Meanwhile those in NYC drop 300 miles,
> Miami drops 900 miles and Atlanta drops 700 miles.  The number of people
> competing in Nationals in the SEDIV and NEDIV are pretty close.  So adding
> 750 to Seattle and dropping between 700-900 miles for those in the SEDIV are
> about the same.

I have no idea where you are getting these mileages, and you aren't
posting your destinations so I can't tell quite what you're saying.  The
ones I posted are from Yahoo maps.

> Nationals should be centrally located for the most members.  The fact is
> don't matter how you cut it up, those on the west coast need 2 days to get
> to Topeka or Birmingham and those on the East only need one. (Except for
> Miami, and Maine)  As long as everyone has to make the same time commitment
> to get to Nationals, we should locate it for maximum attendance.

As I posted, Topeka is 1810 miles from SF.  That's already a hell of a
two-day tow.  Birmingham is 2335 miles from SF.  That is not a reasonable
distance to cover in two days.  Hopefully everyone who attends will be
driving home.  That's 1000 miles extra.  Atlanta would be 1500 miles. I'm
not going to argue with you that the world isn't flat.  Break out a map.

As for centrally located for the most members, see my post or Rocky's much
more elegant one.

KeS