Re: I Think It is Time We Must Do Something

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I Think It is Time We Must Do Something
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:19:03 -0500
I hate to be hard and callous but a driver's safety is ultimately his
responsibility and his alone. Our sanctioning body, the SCCA, has tech
inspections but I would be a fool to believe that I should rely on them for
my own safety.

I have heard many times that the NASCAR drivers often loosen their belts
during yellows and that they sometimes forget to snug them when the course
goes green. Is NASCAR responsible for this? I think not. Similarly if a belt
is installed incorrectly by a car builder it's the driver's responsibility
not NASCAR's to catch it and correct it.

I believe that the cavalier attitude toward safety that we see in NASCAR is
promulgated by the drivers. It's their lives on the line if they want to be
macho shitheads more power to them.

Regards,
Alan