RE: WRX Options

To: "Gary Lingertot" <glingert@yahoo.com>, <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WRX Options
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:15:14 -0800
Just a thought.  It sounds a bit like the spoiler and skidplate are standard
on the WRX, and not really an option.  Is this the case - part of an
official package and not considered a separate "option"?  Can you purchase a
WRX in this country without these items pre-installed, from any dealer?  If
not, than I would say that these parts are a legitimate factory part.  That
would make a case for other PIO's to be "factory".

How is this documented?  Is this option listed on the main factory window
sticker, or an add-on?

If it arrives at the dealer with the part installed, and it had not been
specially passed through an unofficial third party (tuner, etc.), it's
legit.  If the dealer did it, or the car was specially delivered without
factory support to someone else for improvement, and then went to the
dealer, then it's not illegal.

Who says the factory has to be a single facility, or within a single country
or continent?  Remember the Cadillac Allante.  Chassis built in the US,
shipped overseas for real "Italian coachwork", and then shipped back.

I believe the Toyota Paseo convertible was actually built and shipped as a
regular car, but diverted to ASC in California.  There, it got chopped and
fitted with the new top and chassis stiffeners, etc., before final shipment
to dealers.  Toyota did none of the work to make it a convertible, and that
wasn't a secret.  They did, however, list it as an official option, and
advertise it not only in the brochures, but in magazines.

Manufacturing is such a massive effort that it almost has to be spread out
in many ways.  Many parts of any car are made by outside suppliers.  Does it
really matter whose roof it's bolted on under, as long as it's on the car
when delivered and equally available?

- Michael McAvoy