WRX Options

To: <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: WRX Options
From: "Gary Lingertot" <glingert@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:21:47 -0600
I plan on running my 2002 WRX in the stock classes, so before I finalize the
options on the vehicle, I had a question for the group. It's in regards to
the definition of "standard item" in the Stock rules...

"12.4 Standard Part
An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with
the car, installed on the factory production line, and delivered through a
dealer in the United States. Dealer-installed options or deletions, except
as required by factory directives, no matter how common or what their
origin, are not included in this definition. This definition does not allow
the updating or backdating of parts."

Now, for the WRX, there are basically _no_ factory options. Everything is
either a port installed option or a dealer installed option, even items that
are normally considered factory. For example, the "stock" spoiler is in fact
a port installed option (PIO), as is the rear differential protector. In an
effort to cut manufacturing costs, Subaru has moved all of their options
from the factory to the port. Now, my thinking is that the port is still an
arm of the manufacturer (not the dealer) and could therefore be considered
an extension to the factory itself, thus legalizing those port installed
options. Those PIOs are put on the purchase order to Subaru manufacturing,
just like the factory, and it's Subaru corporate that's putting the parts
on.

However, some other folks I have discussed this with indicate that if it's
not put on INSIDE the factory, then it's illegal. Of course, this does has
the slightly ridiculous result of rendering any WRX with the official suburu
spoiler illegal in SCCA Solo II stock classes.

Now, as to dealer installed items (such as the upgraded rims) and the short
shift kit, I think everyone agrees that these are not legal.

Can anyone help set the PIO issue straight? It seems Subaru might be the
first with this "port installed" strangeness for standard items.

                 -- Gary

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]