Re: Question for Miata Drivers

To: "!Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question for Miata Drivers
From: "Will Kalman" <will@kalman.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:50:30 -0800
Read this page - http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html - for all the
info.

It is NOT necessary to remove the crank timing belt sprocket to change
timing belts.  Unless your front crank seal needs to be replaced, leave it
alone.  My '91 Escort GT has the Mazda BP1.8 and is of very similar design
(and as I've read, I may have the "dreaded" short-nosed crank).  My engine
has 212,500 original miles so I'm on my fourth timing belt and I've never
needed to disturb the crank timing belt sprocket.

I suggest changing the timing belt yourself, save the $$$ and learn
something about your engine.  I've become quite adept at changing my belt
and water pump.  It's quite easy once you've got a routine down and I WISH
my transverse installation were nearly as accessible as the Miata's
longitudinal one!

Proper installation of the key is always an issue but it's less critical
with the longer-nosed crank.

A factory manual is HIGHLY recommended over Haynes, Chilton, etc.  Look on
eBay, I got mine for about $40.

Will Kalman
'91 Escort GT
CSCC #232 STS