Re: Question for Miata Drivers

To: RacerFlash@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question for Miata Drivers
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:09:18 -0500
At 2/5/01 Monday 05:15 PM, RacerFlash@aol.com wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>
>My son is looking at buying a '92 Miata w/ 62,000 miles.  Engine and
>suspension feel strong and I am having a mechanic check it out.  Anything in
>particular we should be careful of or look for?  Thanks for any help you can
>offer.
>
>Bob
>
>Bob Gordon
>Delta Region SCCA
>SS #70 94 RX-7 R2 Silver
>"Anything worth doing, is worth doing FAST!"

Bob,

Provided the car is a "latter-half" of '92 model (I forget where the VIN
#'s start), the keyway is not an issue.  On 90-early 92 Miatas, there is
sometimes crank failure related to the nose splitting which is related to
improper timing belt change procedure.

If the belt hasn't been changed, it's a pretty easy process for anyone with
basic mechanical skills, following your Haynes or Mazda factory service
manual as well as all of the informative pages within Miata.net.  There's a
ton of room in there---Miata engines are incredibly easy to work on!  IOW,
don't pay the dealer $400+ for something you can do yourself.

There isn't much to worry (mechanically) about since the Miata is fairly
bulletproof and 62K is pretty low mileage in "Miata Years".

As with any convertible, if the top has been neglected you may be faced
with replacement of the back window or even the whole top.  Replacement
tops are not too expensive from Miata-specific vendors like Moss and Finish
Line, but I hear the installation is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ARSE and that's
one time where it's worth your money to pay someone else to do it.

Eric Moon

Team Wasabi Racing
2000 Acura Type R   -  G-Stock
1992 Mazda Miata     -  D-Prepared Wannabe

Appalachian Sports Car Club   -   www.scca-susq.com