re: Question for Miata Drivers

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Question for Miata Drivers
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:18:07 -0500
A fine car - I owned a '92 Miata for six years.  I still think that it is
one of the best designed, best built cars ever.

One issue is that the rear window - plastic, like in my BMW <g> - goes bad.
 Dull, scratched, yellowed.  It is only a hair more expensive to replace
the entire top than just the window.  At least on my new car, I can zip out
the old window and zip in a new one.  My rear window zipper gave up the
ghost a year before I sold it.  I just kept it zipped all the time.  (Miata
recommends you unzip the window before putting    the top down)

Mine had no other problems except that it required a new set of plug wires
($45) every 25,000 miles.  A common failing.  I replaced the timing belt on
mine twice, myself.  Easy to do, if you have a few hours.  As noted, there
is a key on the crank in front that is frequently put in backwards, so be
careful of that.

Chris Eckles
White M Roadster
Atlanta

Hey Guys,

My son is looking at buying a '92 Miata w/ 62,000 miles.  Engine and
suspension feel strong and I am having a mechanic check it out.  Anything
in
particular we should be careful of or look for?  Thanks for any help you
can
offer.

Bob
<