RE: Ice auto-x

To: "'autox@autox. team. net \(E-mail\)'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ice auto-x
From: rsmith@bfmni.com (Robert W Smith)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:19:58 -0500
Howard;

Wow - ice racing

Something I can comment on. I have been ice racing for 3
years now with some success (that just means I stay out of
the snow banks more now). We use the "old" Blizzaks that
have been mechanically tractionized and as such have a lot
more traction then "normal" ice radials or regular snow
tires.

A lot will depend on the course configuration you are
running. We run a modified oval (kidney shaped - we call the
"back" part, the kink) so certain elements would be
different if you run a "road" course or twisty type thingy
between actual cones - say it isn't so.

Anything you can do to get more weight over the drive wheels
is a plus. On FWD we ballast up the front end as far forward
as possible (200 or more pounds is not uncommon), RWD - lots
of weight in the trunk. FWD - just like Autox, take
everything out you don't need in the car. Weight is still
the enemy. Run with low fuel to lessen the pendulum effect.

We run tubes in the tires to prevent tires from breaking
their beads since we run very low pressures. I currently run
16 - 17 pounds in the fronts with 28 - 32 in the rear. You
would run the front suspension full soft. Disconnect the
front sway bar if possible. Many remove them entirely.
Stiffen up the rear. I currently have 8 rubber spring
spacers in each rear spring to stiffen up the rear to
encourage rotation and this gives some weight jacking. BTW -
I currently compete in a 1982 Civic hatch, 1300cc 4 speed.

Hand brake turns can help rotate the car in big sweepers.
The preferred line is approx. from 1/2 track, foot brake
(left foot braking) and/or hand brake to rotate car sideways
to slow it down and start rotation. Carry rotation to point
the car back at inside bank and drive towards it
straightening out the corner with power applied drive to
apex approx 3/4 way around corner, power on down the
straight. We reach approx 90 Kph on the main stright till we
are hard on the brakes (yes, I said hard - to effect weight
transfer and help plant the front tires).

Traction varies from day to day, heat to heat and lap by
lap. Good ice racers seem to have done it forever and don't
take themselves to seriously. Go slow to go fast. Once
sliding it's very hard to stop the slide. Excessive steering
wheel angles hurt, big time. It takes a lot of practice to
relax, and to unwind the wheel when the bank is coming up -
fast! FWD's do have an advantage as you can pull out of many
slides with the front wheels under power. Not too much
power, of course.

Make sure you take a thermos of hot chocolate for between
races. A good hot toddy or similar for afterwards. Enough
can't be said for "down" - vests, jackets, etc.

Have a blast. I do!

RacerRobb

Our series - http://members.home.net/scoty/sacnews.htm

Baaawaaahaahaahaahaahaaaaaa!