Re: Ice auto-x

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ice auto-x
From: Paul Cezanne <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:18:22 -0500
>Yokohama Guardex tires and no camber for the winter months.  Having never
>done this before, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on
>any aspect of this type of thing.  For instance, I assume I want the Koni's
>left at full soft for best handling, right? Any other tricks I should know
>about?  Is E-braking in turns a good thing, etc?

Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Full soft, yup.

Depending upon the surface you might want to lower your tire pressure
a ton, like down to 10-15psi, then again, since you are just starting
out stay warm and worry about the line, not the tires.

Those are great ice tires, I had them on my Legacy for the ice trials
in pittsfield a few years back, lots of grip, but the ice was very
good that day.

Find your front and rear tow points BEFORE you get to the ice.

Dry boots, warm clothing, gortex or similar gloves.

I would figure that by the time you got the e-brake figured out, you
would have done better to do the turn correctly.

I guess the one thing that surprised me the most about ice driving
was that under certain conditions there is a TON of grip and and in
others there is virtually none.  I've been at 80mph and done hard
braking for a big sweeper and found myself needing to get back on the
gas and I've been at 5mph trying to make a pivot and not being able
to do it for another 5-10 seconds.

If there are snow banks, think about how much you like the airdam on
your car.  I've ripped one off and would have ripped a 2nd off but
the car owner had removed it for the event.

--
pZ -- Paul Cezanne (formerly Czarnecki)

Please consider buying my wife's new book, The Illusionist,
(http://www.JeannetteAngell.com) and then help the UN feed the world
for free @ http://www.TheHungerSite.com