Re: kid karts (over-competitive little-league variety)

To: Vernon Head <vhead@fuelrtm.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: kid karts (over-competitive little-league variety)
From: Sean Minehart <mr_two_2001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:57:35 -0800 (PST)
When you ask a Formula Junior driver what kind of kart
he/she drives, my Brother, Scott, is one of the only
ones that doesn't start with the color and paint
scheme. "It's a 100cc two-cycle with almost 20hp...
redlines at 15,000 rpm."

Scott has been running formula junior for the past
year and I think it is the best thing for him.  After
the first event of the year in Meridian, while he had
a Briggs modified motor (approx. 10 hp) he won by
quite a margin ( I think 7 seconds each day) but if
you watched him accelerate (if you would like to call
it that) you would quickly become aware of his 100+
pound weight disadvantage.  We decided to find a more
powerful motor ( the Komet K-71, approx. 22hp) so he
wouldn't spend half of the course building speed.
This motor was not very reliable but when it ran, it
ran well.  Accusations of the 'over-competitive
little-league variety' would come but in this case we
push Scott to his limits as a driver, because the
extra edge on the competition was not needed.  Trust
me, I have driven this Kart and can asure you that it
is very difficult to drive and maneuver.  In fact,
Scott does all the work on the Kart himself, and the
only wrench being turned by someone else over the age
of 13 is when he needs an extra hand to tighten
something down.  At National races, Scott compares his
times to FM and F125. For example at the NT in Ayer,
after the first day he was in trophy position in FM.
Locally, Scott races in Pro class-not to upset the
other kids- now that we have a PAX for him, although
even at his best the PAX is not generous enough to
beat Tim Aro, GH Sharp, Johnathon Roberts or Sam
Strano.
Saying that Scott is over-competitive is pretty bad,
especially in this sport where protests are made for
people missing a plastic piece on the underside of
their car.  He is only out there to better himself so
when he turns 16, he's got a good chance at a National
Trophy.  I would also bet money that he can drive his
Kart better than almost 100% of team.netters,
including me.

The point I'm trying to make here is that most kids
aren't as serious as Scott is. His motor, along with
others upwards of 40 hp, was compliant with the rules
this year as the Comer was not, but the comer has
probably 15 less horsepower.  Now, in case nobody
noticed, the 2001 rules permit it:In Appendix I,
subsection IV.B, should be changed to the following:
"Engine displacement limits will be consistent with
the WKA standards for engine size, type, and
modification versus driver age."  Besides, no parent
would protest the kids nor should they mind that the
other kid has a better motor since skill levels vary
tremendously.  If you're worried about the kid's
feelings when they don't win the season points, give
out an award for most improved.  I can't believe
someone would say that he couldn't run that kart.
Vernon should be glad his parents didn't name him
Richard because in this case it sure would be fitting!

Scott hopes that more kids become competitive this
year, but the important thing to remember is that it
is for the kids.  They're out there to have fun, and
not to be excluded because their engine, although not
nearly as competitive, is smaller than the spec.
displacement.  The day when there is a level-playing
field in Formula Junior is when all the kids become
interested in improving their skill as Scott does.
And I see a lot of the kids getting much better,
especially the ones that travel with mom and dad at
the NT's and ProSolo's. At Peru, one of the various
times when our kart did not run properly, Ron Conrad
was kind enough to let Scott borrow his son's Kart.
After driving the kart on one set of runs, Scott made
adjustments in the tire pressures and stiffening the
rear end to let Eric improve 7 seconds on each of his
very next runs, only 2 seconds behind Scott.  So it's
not only strong motors that give kids advantages, but
like our cars, simple set-up adjustments can make the
kids go faster, and even more so if they know what the
adjustments do.

BTW this year we've got a 18hp KT100 that is more
reliable so hopefully  no more scenes of 6 underdogs
running at a stranded kart at the opposite end of the
course.

And if you're interested in that bet, just come to the
next NASA-VA autocross at the VMP.

Sean Minehart
Team Underdog Racing
CS 22-'91 Yellow MR2