kid karts

To: bljj@adelphia.net
Subject: kid karts
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:47:29 -0800 (PST)
Like much of life and much of SCCA there are two
answers to one question.
The tight answer is there is just one specification
for a kid kart and the Comer would not be acceptable.
The friendly answer is whatever the fellow competitors
agree to is perfectly all right, it matters not to
anyone else. Only safety issues may be protested by
someone not running in class, and I doubt the kids
will want to play the protest game.
Locally [SFR] the fathers of the kid karts took the
hard case approach and chased off participation before
they developed a viable class. Shame on them. At least
one father bought a couple of used kid karts and
intended to participate with his two kids, was
attacked over wrong specifications the first time out,
and took his family to the karting club. He had
autocrossed for 20 years and was shocked by the
attitude displayed. I think we have lost him as an
autocrosser too, 8-[
So checkout who is running the karts in your area and
how they are doing it. Or start the group in your area
and see to it that the kids have fun and bag the
foolish restrictions.
IMHO

=====
Dennis Hale