Re: Car Classifications

To: "Chris Walton" <carguycw@flash.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Classifications
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:13:04 -0600
From: Chris Walton <carguycw@flash.net>

>>From: "davidschwabe" <davidschwabe@hotmail.com>
>>Just out of curiousity, why is the 2nd Gen Rx-7 GTU or GTUs
>uncompetitive
>>in CS??
>
>It's a little heavy, and the wheels are a little narrow, but mostly
>it's because of the wacky stock toe-control rear suspension.  The
>RX-7's suspension is designed to toe the rear wheels inwards during
>cornering, which is theoretically good, but Mazda overdid it.  It
>makes the car push like crazy until the rear wheels break loose, and
>then the back end swings all over the place.  It's annoying and really
>slows the car down at autocross speeds.  Neutral handling is literally
>impossible to achieve on these cars until you replace the rear
>bushings, which is illegal in Stock 8-/

Yes.  I speak from experience.  Bill Kempe had a stock 2nd-gen RX-7.  I
drove it in an autocross.  The rear suspension drove me nuts.  Bill decided
that he hated the rear-steer enough to go Street Prepared.  After he got the
hard-bushing kit in to kill the rear-steer, I autocrossed it again.  The kit
really works.  With the other changes he made to the ride height and camber,
the car became a real joy to drive at the edge.  I was most pleased the day
I managed trail Bill by only six milliseconds.  With the rear-steer, I
almost couldn't drive the thing at all.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.