Re: NO Spec Tires Please

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: NO Spec Tires Please
From: "Roger Johnson" <rjohnson@friendlynet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:19:14 -0400
Thank you I think.  I will clearly say that in the early
days with BFG, as they were trying to put a dent in
the Yokohama dominance, there were some games
played, and the Y. guys played them right back.
Classic was finding a grooved Yokohama slick on
a sponsored F/S car at a California Pro Solo a few years back!

However, I am aware of having 'special' tires at
only the 1988 Nationals.  About all of the Corvette
drivers in B/S that year (on BFG) had them.  It was legal, as at
the time these 'games' were going on, there
were no prohibitions in the rulebook.  It was that
kind of stuff that led to the addition of most of section
13.3 in 1989.

And the new rules slowed it down - from the BFG standpoint, I
am not aware of any foolishness after the rules went
into the book - but it clearly did not end the bending of the rules by the
others.  The ensuing 'claiming' rules that hit the Pro
Solo rule book were only used twice I think - that also
helped end some of the problems.

But make no mistake - a new attractive class, with the "140"
rule in place? History will repeat inself.

Roger 2