Re: STS Tire Rules meets Lawnmower Racing

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules meets Lawnmower Racing
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:05:02 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Will Kalman <will@kalman.org>

> First, print -- Sport Compact Car, Max Power, Super Street, etc. Then C&D,
R&T, and MT.

Print -- even mainstream print -- is out there, and it's increasing.
Automobile has been running a column about the Ford Focus they've been
flogging in Michigan events all summer.  Danielle Engstrom, in addition (or
as part of?) her new duties as Official SCCA Solo II Communicator, has
written two articles for SCC -- maybe a regular feature?  Other articles
turn up from time to time in Sports Car International, Car and Driver and
Road&Track.   (Super Street?  The rag that thinks drifting sideways in dirt
is a motorsport?)

Autocross is no longer a secret sport.  It's been quite awhile since anyone
asked me if I hurt the car jumping over those dirt mounds. :)

> Next thing you know Solo2 will become an "Extreme" sport on
> ESPN.  I'd think it would have a lot of the appeal of the X-games in that
> it's regular guys with readily attainable equipment doing interesting
> things.

No, man, I'm not growing a ponytail, and I'm not piercing *anything!* :)

> BTW, does anyone smell Event Sponsorship with the mention of things like
the Solara with the TRD
> package?
> I do.

Actually, I think you're on to something earlier.  Traditionally, tuners
have either sponsored individual cars or offered contingency sponsorships --
fairly common, even in Solo.  But Sport Compact Car, for instance, helped
start up and sponsor an entire import drag racing series, and used the
marketing power of their publication (and corporate parent) to bring in
series sponsors.  Tire Rack is a good and valuable sponsor, but their
pockets probably aren't deep enough to bring in TV (and frankly, if bringing
in TV meant losing them, TV's not worth it).  But a media co-sponsor...and
Peavy doing web simulcast....

Ah, it's still a pipe dream, but if lawnmower racing and skateboarding can
do it, there's a path (paved with $) to reality somewhere.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr