Re: NO Spec Tires Please

To: "!Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NO Spec Tires Please
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:27:40 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Will Kalman wrote:
> How about showing proof of purchase from a retail outlet with serial
> numbers?  While it would not (of course) make cheating impossible, it sure
> would be a lot harder to pull off.

I think about the only way you could pull off _proving_ that a tire
company created a ringer tire is to confiscate a tire from the competitor
and send it and known good tire (heh) to a lab to have everything tested.
Rubber compound makeup, number of belts, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not a tire engineer, but I can't believe a durometer test would mean a
hell of a lot.  If that was all it took, we'd all run shaved dirt
stockers.

Make no mistake.  If a tire company really wants to cheat, it will be
_very_ hard to prove they did.  With _any_ tire rules other than "there
must be 4 tires" :-)

Mark