Re: Last posting to team.net for Evolution

To: <Jkinser77@aol.com>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Last posting to team.net for Evolution
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@alwaysthinking.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 00 16:55:20 -0400
Jean Kinser wrote:
>Due to the posts against the school helping clubs advertise and us answering
>questions being asked about what is going on, I now have had 2 instructors
>quit team.net out of frustration to reading responses to use letting people
>know what is happening with the school, new creations, needing imput and
>help from people, and updating the happenings of the 70 some schools we do
>a year to make this sport a better place.
[snip]
>maybe when this net thing ever gets back to the days of long ago and more of
>the key influential people are back with their posts, maybe when it gets
>back to what it first was started as from what I was told it may be time
>to join in again.

First, I'll say that I haven't taken the Evolution schools, but not for
want of trying. I paid my money, but my elderly british car let me down
by breaking it's clutch cable mount in the event parking lot after a 4
hour drive but before turning a wheel under instruction. I harbor no ill
will about Evolution, and plan to take one next year sometime.

Your post seems to see this as an all or nothing proposition. I don't
think it's so black & white. Those folks that object (at least not most
of them) aren't objecting to any and all comercial content, it's the
continuous volume of updates, details, and minutia that try our patience.
Yes Evolution is a valuable service to the autocross community. But there
is a limit. I find the constant postings slightly annoying, but I fear
what team.net would become if a couple more friends of the community
started posting as often.

I suggest you continue to participate, just throttle back a bit. Gather a
few days worth of stuff into one post. All of team.net doesn't need to
hear every detail as it's firmed up. For those that do want in on the
gory details, setup a seprate list... you can do it with a bit of brute
force with your emailer or set up one free with egroups.com or similar
sites. Keep the website up to date. By all means answer questions that
are asked and announce urgent stuff like cancellations. But this doesn't
give license to pop up an ad everytime the school is mentioned, or an
instructor... or a student.

Mark is the final judge. And since he hasn't weighed in, we're only left
with the guidelines posted before. I don't find those guidelines
draconian.

I hate to say this, and apologize for it up front. But if you and your
instructors are on team.net exclusively for "letting people know what is
happening with the school" as opposed to participating in the
discussion... well good riddence. If and when you want to participate,
I'll welcome you back.

IMHO, YMMV, yadda yada.

Scott
"You forgot the emoticon for two year old foot stomping." - Peter Olivola