Re: Tire Warmers

To: ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire Warmers
From: Raymond Gahan <fvee-34@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:32:31 -0500
---------------------

Let see what it would cost for effective tire warmers.

I believe I saw some that had something like 5kw ratings (might of been
more). A 5kw generator would start about $600 (and go up considerably)
and
would only take care of one warmer. So the cost of 4 tire warmers, 4
generators.
(from northern tool website Coleman 5kw generator $899.99 161# ship
weight)
I can just see having four generators at the corners of how many cars
all
running wide open. Just wait for some one(idiot) to fuel up the hot
generator
and start a fire. Plus the cost of the tire warmers, plus hauling all
that equipment around. (say trailer)

For comparison about watts a typical hair dryer is ~1500 watts. Imagine
warming up your tires with one of them.

Maybe it is time to eliminate the co-drivers instead? (devil's advocate
position)
(only at nationals)
It certainly does seem from my recent experience that a
co-driver/tire-warmer
would seem to be very desirable (necessary) to try and run up fron at
nationals.

Ray Gahan

> Subject: Tire warmers
> Sender: owner-autox@autox.team.net
>
> Howdy,
>
> Ok, I promise my comments on this topic won't make everyone think I'm a
> dickhead.  I've already done that and see no need to keep proving the
> point... :-)
>
> I'm curious why electric tire warmers are disallowed?  Is this a potential
> safety thing or a "keep the costs down" thing?
>
> If its based in cost, I would bet that a set of tire warmers & a generator
> ends up being considerably cheaper than a tire-warming co-driver that it
> seems like a lot of people use, particularly over a couple seasons.

<snip for brevity>