Re: Kids

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Kids
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:58:45 -0500
Loren Williams wrote:

> Yes, my region did "jump through the hoops", but they seemed to be
> pretty big hoops, and they were really close together.  All it took was
> a lightly reworked "borrowed" plan of attack and a couple of motivated
> people.  Are you saying that, in light of the fact that my region is
> permitted to run 8 year old drivers that we also might be allowed to
> have 8 year old passengers?  I hadn't thought of that.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying, Loren.  If you've got the OK to let
8-year-old drivers run, then perhaps it's time for a clarification
from Denver on the rest of the age rules.

> As far as I know, the only time they're allowed in grid or on course is
> when they are competing.  At least that's the way it's done here.  No
> one under 16 is permitted to work the course.  Kids do their work
> assignments in T&S... if they're mature enough to be of use.

I've got no problem at all with that!

> Regionally, we can make a more restrictive rule regarding minors and > where
>they can work for safety reasons.  What we can't do is
> RELAX a National safety rule.

Right on!  And that's exactly the way it should be!

> The reason I posed the question here was to see if anyone knew whether
> or not the issue was already decided.  If the rule was already known to
> be on the list of changes for next year, I wouldn't need to write a
> letter.  Since no one seems to know anything (and surprisingly, no one
> seems to care), I guess I should write a letter.
>
> <sigh>  I hate licking envelopes.

Who needs to lick an envelope?  Just e-mail it!!!  8<{)  It didn't
take any major effort to e-mail the list or me, so why not just e-mail
the powers that be?!?!?!?

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman