Re: Kids

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Kids
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:29:31 -0500
Loren Williams wrote:

> Unfortunately, my son is 3.5 years away from being 12, yet fits just
> fine in my car's seatbelts, and I could find a properly fitting helmet
> without trouble.  What good reason is there to NOT allow a child that's
> old enough to COMPETE in a Solo to RIDE in one?

I think Kevin pretty well nailed it with his response.  BUT, I'll take
it one step further.  The ONLY way anyone younger than 12-years-old
can compete in SCCA Solo-2 events is if the sponsoring region has
jumped through all the hoops to get approval for an exception to let
them run in the Junior Driver Program.  If your region has done so,
then perhaps it's time to ask Denver for a clarification on the
wording of the rule. However, as Kevin pointed out, I suspect there's
also some insurance stuff involved here.

Personally, as a Divisional Solo-2 Safety Steward, I have problems
with 12-year-olds in the grid and working the course!  But rules are
rules and we've got to follow what's set out for us or else work to
get them changed.

> I agree that all of the appropriate waivers need to be on file, and all
> of the safety equipment needs to be in place and well-fitted.  I'd even
> agree that children under the age of 15 only be allowed to ride with
> their legal guardian rather than with just anyone.  I would also suggest
> that the rule be written such that only ONE minor passenger be permitted
> in a car.  (you know how kids get when you put them together...)

I agree with you there.  I don't think we should EVER allow more than
one passenger...regardless of age.

> Surely I'm not the only one who has an 8-11 year old kid that they'd
> like to take along on a Solo run?

I'm sure you're not!  But, as I said, rules are rules.  And, for now,
we've got to live with what's written.  I hate to use an old trite
cliche' but, if you don't like the way the rules are written now,
WRITE A LETTER!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman