Re: Kids

To: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kids
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:45:21 -0500

John Lieberman wrote:

> I think Kevin pretty well nailed it with his response.  BUT, I'll take
> it one step further.  The ONLY way anyone younger than 12-years-old
> can compete in SCCA Solo-2 events is if the sponsoring region has
> jumped through all the hoops to get approval for an exception to let
> them run in the Junior Driver Program.  If your region has done so,
> then perhaps it's time to ask Denver for a clarification on the
> wording of the rule.

Yes, my region did "jump through the hoops", but they seemed to be
pretty big hoops, and they were really close together.  All it took was
a lightly reworked "borrowed" plan of attack and a couple of motivated
people.  Are you saying that, in light of the fact that my region is
permitted to run 8 year old drivers that we also might be allowed to
have 8 year old passengers?  I hadn't thought of that.

> However, as Kevin pointed out, I suspect there's
> also some insurance stuff involved here.

Could be.

> Personally, as a Divisional Solo-2 Safety Steward, I have problems
> with 12-year-olds in the grid and working the course!

As far as I know, the only time they're allowed in grid or on course is
when they are competing.  At least that's the way it's done here.  No
one under 16 is permitted to work the course.  Kids to their work
assignments in T&S... if they're mature enough to be of use.

> But rules are
> rules and we've got to follow what's set out for us or else work to
> get them changed.

Yes and no.  Regionally, we can make a more restrictive rule regarding
minors and where they can work for safety reasons.  What we can't do is
RELAX a National safety rule.

> I agree with you there.  I don't think we should EVER allow more than
> one passenger...regardless of age.

This is a policy in our region.  It works well.

> I'm sure you're not!  But, as I said, rules are rules.  And, for now,
> we've got to live with what's written.  I hate to use an old trite
> cliche' but, if you don't like the way the rules are written now,
> WRITE A LETTER!  8<{)

The reason I posed the question here was to see if anyone knew whether
or not the issue was already decided.  If the rule was already known to
be on the list of changes for next year, I wouldn't need to write a
letter.  Since no one seems to know anything (and surprisingly, no one
seems to care), I guess I should write a letter.

<sigh>  I hate licking envelopes.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca