Re: Since we're talking tires...

To: "David Onate" <crzydave@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Since we're talking tires...
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:36:07 -0500
>I KILLED my first Kuhmos because of overdriving.. I got about 50 runs
out of
>them before cording them all the way around on the outer shoulder. (on
>honda civic with very little camber). I wish I would have known
earlier.
>(then again I am still learning my lessons about my overdriving and
>aggressiveness)
>-"Crazy" Dave "Cokeswigga" Onate
==========================
Usually, in my limited newbie knowledge, the reason for cording the
outside edge of tires is due to underinflation.  Quite possibly the
overdriving isn't helping matters either.

At a McKamey Phase 1 school this spring I managed to do what was
heretofore considered impossible.  I corded a Toyo tire.  But, it was on
the driver's front on my Neon and was on the outside edge only.  I was
told by all of the instructors that it was primarily due to being
underinflated and part of the wear was also due to the McKamey schools
curriculum which puts a lot of stress and wear on the driver's front
tire due to the
course design.  Of course the super grippy concrete surface of the
Salina Region's East Crawford  Rec. Area also has a tendency to
literally chew tires up.

I raised my front tire pressures from 37 psi to 40 psi since then and am
now getting quite even wear across the tread face.  BTW, I'm running
Toyo RA1 225/50-14s on a 6" wide wheels which also tends to "bow" the
tread face due to the wheel being less than the optimum width for such a
wide tire.

So, I would recommend raising your tire pressures a few psi and see how
your tires wear.  Of course not overdriving the tires also helps them
live longer.  ;^)

Good luck.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."