Re: 7" STU rim width to small/tires/STU=great idea

To: tdlenser@fuse.net
Subject: Re: 7" STU rim width to small/tires/STU=great idea
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:11:35 EDT
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:18:19 -0400
Todd Lenser wrote:

<< I really like the STU class proposals.  It makes a lot of sense to put the
forced induction/drag race prepared/ rice boy in a permissive class.  It
eliminates all the problems of classing or handicapping
turbos/superchargers/Integra engine swaps vs. NA engines by putting all the
highly modded daily drivers in a single place.  F-body guys don't have to
complain about DSM's, and we don't have to whine about tube frame 500+ hp
monsters in CP. >>

That is basically what this is all about.

<< That said, the 7" rim width is a mistake.  Many of these cars are 3000+ lbs
and FWD (yuck), which means they need a lot of tire up front.  Also, the
target audience seems to favor flashy, big, high inertia wheels in 17" or
even 18" sizes.  Since 17" wheels are commonly sold in an 8" width, a 17"
wheel would prevent a lot of the audience from competing. >>

I understand your point here, and it is open to discuss. When I first read
the current rules in the book I did not catch the reference to the open wheel
size back in SP. I hate the look at 14.3 crap. The rules should all be in one
place for each catagory. I have 2 sets of 14x7's and a set of 15x8's, I
needed new rubber so I went with the 7's to make sure there was no question.
For ST and STR it is certainly a 7 inch 225 limit. For STU sure we can open
it a bit, but I think totally open is also a mistake. Maybe a more reasonable
limit like 8 inch 245. I would not have a problem with that. Other
suggestions are welcome. But the totally open of SP has not been great. The
little CSP Hondas on 9 inch rims are wild. Many use the bias ply hoosier to
get a small diameter with a 9 inch wide contact patch. ESP cars run 315's, it
can get crazy. And you made the perfect point, big power needs big tires.
Well, limit the tire, and it limits how much advantage someone gets building
a grenade for an engine. This should help keep the cars reliable in this
class.

<< Personally, I have 16*7.5" Borbet Type T rims on my 3200 lb. Talon (boo,
hiss; AWD, turbo; heresy), and those are as small as I would use for a 225
Kumho.  The car is still probably undertired, and yes they do fit within the
wheelwell.  An Integra, Accord, Prelude, BMW should be in a similar
situation based on their curb weight. >>

The wheel limit was one way of keeping the M3 from blowing us all away. ;-)
Hmm. Maybe I did have a motive. But seriously, a 3.0 with a blower making 400
hp trying to use just a 225 tire, and my car making about 300 with a 2.4
turbo on the same contact patch. It will be fun. The weight is a factor, but
everyone seems to shy away from having to weigh cars. All prepare and mod
cars are weighed at big events, what is the big deal. Limit rim size to
weight? Maybe. Can't tie it to engine size, unless you do it backwards. Big
engine small tire? Small engine big tire? That would equalize things.

<< Also, race tires definately need to remain legal in STU.  The target
audience mostly has the inclination and disposable income to buy toys, and
race tires make the sport a LOT more fun.  With the Kumhos at $120-135, even
in 17", and lasting at least one full season, race tires aren't very
expensive anymore. >>

AGREED completely. I am addicted to race rubber. If we had to go back, I
would adjust, but it would be a severe form of withdrawl. Even G-Forces are
cheaper then any street tire that will work.

<< CP/STU #17, '95 Talon Tsi AWD 16G, Cincinnati region >>

It sure would be interesting to see how we would do against each other. My
Celica is rear drive with a 2.4 single cam 2 valve turboed to 11 psi making
just about 30 hp. I weigh in at 2850 with driver and half tank of gas. And
current;ly run 225 50 14 G-forces. You could make a bit more power and have
all wheel drive, but the smaller 4 valve motor probably has less low end
torque. Sure sounds like a fun match up.

Gary M.
Even though I lost DTN , I am trying to get to nationals. Maybe a few other
STU's will come out to play?