Re: more STU stuff

To: oblique@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: more STU stuff
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:11:37 EDT
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:24:22 -0400
Paul Czarnecki wrote:

from a previous quote:
>I don't object in principle to the formation of a new Category, but if
>you want to form classes for streetable cars in Solo II, it's my claim
>that your only real possibility is in Stock. Anything else will come to
>be dominated by purpose-built Solo cars, and the guy off the street
>won't be any better off than he is now.

Paul said:
<<except that he'll have the perception of winning and not be disgusted at
<<loosing to a Reynard/Fiero.  He'll seem the extreme STU cars and think,
<<hey, I could do that... and come back for a 2nd event.

Exactly. Our STU new comers are excited about trying to go faster. They have
looked over the other cars and feel they can do better. You have heard from
Mark here, he can jump in if he wants. Others seem to feel the same way. We
are talking cars that really are used as street cars. If someone did not
optimise for autocros and they get beat by someone who did, at least it is
more an adjustment than a complete gutted out car that could never be street
driven. I run reletively tame spring rates now, but they are 2.5 inch coil
overs, I can put a different set on in an hour or so, and they are alot
cheaper then a set of lowering springs any day. Mant of the cars that fit STU
have coil overs too, so they can do the same. Alignment is the biggest thing
that sets pure autocross cars aside. I run 1/4 inch toe out, and it is not a
problem on the street. I could dial that in at the track, but I see no need.
If it was 1/2 inch or more, then maybe. Same with Camber, with a good setup,
2 degrees is more than enough. Sure the street tires wear a bit more in the
inside, look at any tricked out Handas on the street, they probably have more
camber then I do.

They feel they can get there. Look at Steve T's Fiero and you feel, no way
instead. I would race Steve heads up if he was on DOT tires on 8 inch rims
and weighed 2800 pounds. Even though he is a 2 seater  ;-)  Make him pass the
Illinois IM 240 and I am sure I could keep up.

Let's keep this discussion going and see where we end up, the current as
pinted STU is a good start, and just a few clarifications would make it easy
to compete.

Gary M.
STU and having fun, isn't that what matters most?