7" STU rim width to small/tires/STU=great idea

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 7" STU rim width to small/tires/STU=great idea
From: "Todd Lenser" <tdlenser@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:18:19 -0400
I really like the STU class proposals.  It makes a lot of sense to put the
forced induction/drag race prepared/ rice boy in a permissive class.  It
eliminates all the problems of classing or handicapping
turbos/superchargers/Integra engine swaps vs. NA engines by putting all the
highly modded daily drivers in a single place.  F-body guys don't have to
complain about DSM's, and we don't have to whine about tube frame 500+ hp
monsters in CP.

That said, the 7" rim width is a mistake.  Many of these cars are 3000+ lbs
and FWD (yuck), which means they need a lot of tire up front.  Also, the
target audience seems to favor flashy, big, high inertia wheels in 17" or
even 18" sizes.  Since 17" wheels are commonly sold in an 8" width, a 17"
wheel would prevent a lot of the audience from competing.

Personally, I have 16*7.5" Borbet Type T rims on my 3200 lb. Talon (boo,
hiss; AWD, turbo; heresy), and those are as small as I would use for a 225
Kumho.  The car is still probably undertired, and yes they do fit within the
wheelwell.  An Integra, Accord, Prelude, BMW should be in a similar
situation based on their curb weight.

Also, race tires definately need to remain legal in STU.  The target
audience mostly has the inclination and disposable income to buy toys, and
race tires make the sport a LOT more fun.  With the Kumhos at $120-135, even
in 17", and lasting at least one full season, race tires aren't very
expensive anymore.

Hopefully this email gets through, unlike the long posts I wrote that kept
bouncing,
Todd Lenser
CP/STU #17, '95 Talon Tsi AWD 16G, Cincinnati region