Re: Classing changes

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Classing changes
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 19:45:57 -0500

Woody Hair wrote:

> I think it's closer in concept to ESP, but would be a *big* underdog to
> a good Camaro V8.  While we're on the subject, what's the 325i doing in
> BS against the nibble Miatas?  Wouldn't GS be more appropriate? (2.5
> liter 6-cyl sedans/coupes).

It's more than just displacement and general configuration.  Ya gotta
consider the car's inherent handling capabilities and limitations. (not
saying that either of the mentioned cars are or are not properly
classed, just that there's more to it than what you stated)

If it were as simple as that, all of the 4 cylinder sedans/coupes would
be in ES with my Saturn instead of spread out between ES, GS & HS.

To pick on the ESP BMW thing... looking back to the 1997 Nats:

>From CSP: (6th place overall, best Bimmer finish)
Bob Tunnell  95 BMW M3  106.472

>From ESP: (1st & 2nd place)
John Ames    96 Chevy Camaro SS    106.752
Tim Koch     84 Chevy Camaro       107.901

There may have been some differences in conditions to account for the
minor difference in times, but can you now see why the 3 series BMW
isn't classified in ESP?

Or how about 1998 Nats:

CSP: (10th)
Bob Tunnell  95 BMW M3             106.705

ESP: (1st & 2nd)
John Ames     95 Ford Mustang       106.295
Mark Madarash 88 Pontiac Trans-Am   106.535

It's a little less clear there (again, weather could be a factor), but
overall, I'd say that if you remove the autox-gods such as Ames &
Madarash (not saying that Bob Tunnell isn't good!), the BMW could easily
walk away with ESP.

Just my opinion.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw