Re: Need advice on buying a 99 Miata

To: mnoeltne@ezl.com
Subject: Re: Need advice on buying a 99 Miata
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 06:06:51 -0700 (PDT)
>Is the Sport Package the way to go? The 10th
Anniversery Edition? Whatwill
>I need to change or modify to be competive in Stock
class?

Basically, they're all pretty good, and I don't
believe any one has been established as THE dominant
car.  Most of the nationally competitive ones are
Sports packages, but my hunch is that is what the
hotshoes happened to buy.  The Leather Package and
Anniversary 6-speed have the same suspension and 15"
wheels as the Sports, though I'm not sure if the
leather pkg has Bilsteins.  The jury is still out on
the 6-speed's usefulness in autox (it will eventually
be available on regular Miatas, but no one knows
exactly when).

Now one very recent development may be about to upset
the applecart...a friend who sells Konis has told me
that the just-in '99 Koni shock fits only the 14" rim
models (those being base, Touring, and PEP).  Seems
the Bilstein has a different perch and Koni doesn't
have a delivery date for a shock to fit the 15" cars.
(I presume that means the new ones don't have an
adjustable perch...)

If I had the cash to trade, I'd go with the PEP.  It's
got the Torsen, 14" rims are _worlds_ easier to find
good tires for, and you can get ABS for rain events
and the street that actually works.

Most folks put on shocks and a bigger front sway bar,
but you don't NEED these to be competitive...Michael
Butler won B Stock with race tires and an alignment,
I'm told.

Craig Blome
'96 Miata M (it ain't a '99, but it's closer to being
paid for!  :)