Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring
From: Aaron <zpeed@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:51:35 -0700
I've been reading this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents to it.
>From the perspective of someone who would probably fit the stereotype of
the person SST is trying to attract, these are my opinions.

I've been to just about every autox in my local region in the last year,
but I've never run in any class.  It has always been for just time only or
practice days.  The main reason I go is because all my friends go and we're
always trying to outdo each another.  I've thought about running in ST when
it first started but when it really comes down to it, I don't see much
incentive in doing it.  It boils down to a few things.

1)  If there's something I want to do to my car and it kicks me out of a
class, I'll probably do it because I drive my car a lot more on the street
than I do at an autox.  Ex. I would be classed in STR right now because the
tires I got fell under the treadwear limit for ST.  I figure, I'm gonna be
driving on the street a whole lot more than I will at the autox and these
tires were cheap(RE71's).  I can't afford a whole other set of rims/tires
to go compete plus I wouldn't have a place to keep them.

2)  Why should I wake up at 6:00am to be at an event at 7:00am because I'm
running in the morning when I can sleep till 10am and just run time in the
afternoon.  I know this sounds really lazy and stupid but it makes a
difference.

3)  I don't have the talent or the financial resources at this point to
make a serious effort.  I could probably place pretty well in ST in my
region just comparing my times to the other people but is it really worth
it for me?  Again, look at #1 & 2.

I'm out there to have some fun with my friends and become a better driver.
I'm sure eventually I will run in a class but right now, I don't see much
benefit in it for me.

One last point, it is going to be really hard to get the "import drag
racing" crowd to cross over because that whole scene is a lot more social
than it is about real racing.  I'm talking about for the average drag
racer.  You go out to a race to show off your car, brag about how fast it
is, pick up on women and look at other cars.  The racing is just a side
attraction.

Who am I to make all these observations you ask?
I've been going out to the import races ever since they held the first one
in 95? I think.  I still have friends who are really into it and go quite
often but I find myself going less and less because it's the same old
thing.  I probably make it out to 1 or 2 import races a year now, if that
and only because a friend is running or there isn't an autox that weekend..

Aaron..
'87 Scirocco 16v..