Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring

Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:38:57 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> However, porting is also necessary for the "all motor" crowd to be able to run
> with the turbos, so we should probably allow it. What's the opinion on
> aftermarket head castings?

First, I don't agree that porting has to be expensive.  I'm sure I'm not
the only person who knows someone who owns a flowbench.  Second, I'd make
the head unrestricted except that the original valve train be retained (no
Ti valves or retainers or springs, no changing the valve angle, etc.)  If
you allow porting, you might as well allow aftermarket castings.
Afterall, aftermarket castings are kinda 'bolt on porting'.

> Will the National level get expensive? Damn straight it will. It should - this
> is Nationals, after all. (Or ProSolo) They're _supposed_ to be the best.
>They're
> _supposed_ to be the role models. Lemme put it this way - do you think any
>drag
> racer seriously expects to be immediately competitive with the likes of John
> Force? The trick is that there has to be a path for them to follow, and the
> current "get thee to EMod" structure doesn't work, because there's no way a
> production-based car will ever be able to compete with "real" modified cars -
>so
> why bother?

I agree that the fact that the class can and will get expensive at the
highest level shouldn't be a problem.  Its not like the world ends if we
add a class that takes money to play in.  Last I checked, RX7tt's,
Vette's, M3's, etc. weren't exactly free.  I'd be willing to bet I could
build a national level SST car for the cost of a new M3.

I still think STR and STU should be eliminated in favor of this class.  By
and large this is STU refined anyway, and (in my mind) STR is basically
CSP anyway.

This would give us ST (for the regular joe street guy) and SST (for the
psychotics, import drag or autox background regardless).

I like it.

Mark