Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling

To: kellycp@nbnet.nb.ca (Charles Kelly)
Subject: Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling
From: Chuck Hanson <hanson@swcp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:43:03 -0600
At 04:21 PM 6/28/99 GMT, you wrote:

>So what would you recommend to someone who doesn't have access to a track
(no place to 'exercise the tires at the limits')?

I have two ways that I've used with success depending on how much time I
have available that day.

1. (The hard way) I mount my new tires, drive about 3 miles to a nearby
business park (on a Sunday) and proceed to do A BUNCH of small skidpad-like
circles in each direction in a secluded cul-de-sac.  If I'm really into it,
I'll swap them front to back and do it again.  They get quite warm and it
seems to work.

2. (The easy way) Mount them and drive up I-25 to Santa Fe and back at about
90 mph (with appropriate road music and a cup of coffee or 20 oz. Diet
Coke).   It's about 90 miles round trip and they all seem to get pretty
evenly warm.

Paying for heat cycling is certainly easier though...

Chuck Hanson
Albuquerque, NM