Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>,
Subject: Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling
From: "Bruce Wentzel" <greendot@excelonline.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:14:24 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
To: 'team.net' <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 12:30 AM

>Gee, I thought it was intended to make the "drive 100 miles"
approach look
>good.
>
>I've never seen the Hoosier approach published, as the BFG one
is, and it
>doesn't sound very practical for autox anyway.
>
>KeS

Here it is, from the Tire Rack web site, Hoosier tire care tips:

Tire Break-in Procedure

Proper break-in will not affect initial performance but will
increase the competitive life of the tire.

The procedure can be broken down onto phases.

1st phase: The initial run
2nd phase: The length of the time the tire is allowed to "cure"

The initial run

The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the
durability and competitive life. The first session should consist
of 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should
be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until
the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the
fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire
temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in
and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate. Optimally, the
tires should be removed or have the car jacked up during this
cooling.

During this process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi
higher than you would normally use. The best progression would
have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each
lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the
previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as
possible on the last lap without "shocking" the tire during the
warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding.
The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.

"Cure" Time

After completing the above, the length of time the tire is
allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for
this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not "the next day").
Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would
allow a week before using the tire again.

Proper tire management is a difficult process. To accomplish this
almost always requires a second set of wheels. The payoff is
greatly increased competitive tire life.