Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:49:41 -0400
Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Unfortunately, most of us autocrossers do not have access to a good
> track to do the "Hoosier process".  But, we do have plenty of access to
> regular old highways.  And according to their info that I quoted, the
> highway methods, #'s 2 & 3 afforded the same benefits as their $15/tire
> heat cycling service.   Hey, if you've got the extra money and not the
> time then by all means utilize their heat cycling service.  As for me,
> I've got far more time than money and I can also have a little fun with
> freeway interchange cloverleafs while heat cycling the tires.  ;^)

Doesn't have to be a good track. ;-) But that does raise an interesting
point. Could it be done at an autocross? Hmmm....

But it sounds like your cloverleaf exercise may be just the ticket. Try
starting at moderate speeds and end up with some real squealers and let
us know the outcome.

> Chances are great that the next set of tires that I order for my Neon,
> which will be Kumhos, will come from Tire Rack.  But at my stage in the
> learning game I need the extra rubber and life afforded by full tread
> tires much more than I need that last 1/10 second that shaved tires
> might get me.  And they're also cheaper if not shaved.

I hear ya. I just got my first ever set of shaved tires. And I think I
may have made the wrong decision. After one DE weekend at Road Atlanta
most of the rubber is now gone from the outside edge while I didn't seem
to have this problem with full depth Kumhos...

Paul Foster