RE: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: RE: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:00:51 -0500

>>different look here for a moment and take turbo cars as a "normal" (or
>>primary) cars, and all others as something else, picture will be quite
>>different.
>
>Well there are many more non-turbo's out there.

That is exactly why I wrote it this way

>Turbo cars also make more power from engines that weight less, and are not
>hurt on big courses (remember I have lots of turbo seat time).

Well, there are a lot's of cars around and I guess we can make a lot's of
different examples. I will make just one. Type R and Turbo DSM. 195 HP from
1.8 litter engine compare to 210 HP from 2.0 litter. I would bet that those
Type R engines are lighter then DSM engines. And Type R makes over 108
HP/liter compare to 105 HP/liter that DSM makes. If we put V8 engine there
than those numbers go down to around 50 HP/liter. Very inefficient if you
look at those numbers. Compare to Type R, 5.0 V8 should make around 1000 HP
from the motor. Decrease 20% due to looses in the rotation weight and they
should be somewhere around 700 - 800HP easy. Who would then complain about
weight?

>>And, so on. I guess you get the picture. If you felt just for the second
>>that all world is against you non-turbo drivers, than you might know how
we
>>feel all the time here!
>
>You guys are not in any differnet position than anyone else in this club.
>Turbo's are not hamstrung by SCCA.  Did it ever occur to anyone that just

I guess, I did not succeed in my previous post about trying to imagine that
we swap the places for a second. If you would  have so many special rules
made just for non-turbo cars, you would not say this. Take it just for
example that you non-turbo guys have to run stock exhaust while turbo cars
are excluded due to fact that we have a turbo lag. I can not go below 3k
with my car. If I have to go there than I have to down shift. Than, there
is up shift after that too. When was a last time that you had to do such a
thing as down shifting?

>by nature a turbo isn't the best thing for AutoX?  You guys choose your
>cars.  I had to buy the Camaro when the car I owned wasn't competitive.
>Personally I think it would be nice if there was a class for everything.

But, there isn't. I have to run with the cars that have 3 times larger
engines that I have. And this is not about which car is better for autoX or
not. By changing to rules and allowing more turbo mods, and at the same
time slowing non-turbo cars down, answer on your question will be
completely different.

>But, pretend you didn't own a Turbo.  Aebersold's Supra, Maruinus' RX7 are
>really the only two turbo cars that have been prepped to the extent they
>had to be, and a look how they run.  Dennis' car seems pretty quick from
>what I saw in Ft. Myers, and it has yet to be really dug into I bet.
>Remember how bad the DSM cars got f*cked when they were classed in GS?  I
>do.  What happened?

Regardless of what you do the ESP DSM in P2, I don't think that we have
much of the chance there (if it is raining, maybe, or even better if we
have some snow).

Fedja
95 AWD
#34 ESP