Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:14:45 -0500
At 10:37 AM 3/23/99 -0500, Fedja Jeleskovic wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>
>>Lemme say this.  As ungodly fast as John Ames' SS (now Steve E.'s car) is,
>>no-one ever saw it leave 50+ feet of  (315) rubber on good Concrete.  And
>>that's something to ponder since the Supra has more weight in the ass, and
>>I can guarantee it launches better, and the SS has a weak 'ol LT4 in
>>it................
>
>Yes, but you don't have to launch SS Camaro or Mustang from 4000+ RPMs as
>turbo cars (you are missing our famous lag). Most of the pony cars will
>burn a lot of rubber just by flooring it even from the second gear. So,
>tell us how long mark will your car (or any pony car) leave if you would
>launch it from the 4K or more?

There isn't a legal ESP pony car out there that will snap tires loose in
2nd gear.  What you obviously don't realize is the Supra was bogged badly
promptly BEFORE it left all that BFG rubber on the ground.  It wasn't
because the clutch was dropped @ 4k or so.  My car wouldn't leave any mark
leaving @ 4k, because my antiquated axle would've fallen out long ago.  And
the fact that my converter stalls @ about 1200 rpm.

Oh, and since I was thinking about your lack of torque argument/tiny engine
argument answer me this:  How does a little 1.3 (effectively 2.6L engine)
in an RX7 that make barely any more torque than your car @ 217 foot pound
at a stratospheric 5000 rpm or so manage to beat up on a big mean 5.7L in
SS?  That alone takes that argument and makes it moot.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831
814-849-3417 (tech.)