Re: RX-7 TT Hoses

To: diesel@friendlynet.com
Subject: Re: RX-7 TT Hoses
From: steve.cirian@us.pwcglobal.com
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:33:55 -0600
Diesel,

>1.)  Show me exactly in the rules where it says gluing hoses is OK.
> 5.)  I've gotten 29 posts on this topic - both public and private -
>and not ONE has referred me to a section of the rulebook allowing this
>fix.  It's like timing gears/chains in a SBC, chain tensioners in the
>911, etc.  Reliability only - no performance enhancement - and still
>illegal.

I do not have the rule book with me, and would agree with you that it is
probably not in there.  However, there are probably hundreds of other
maintenance items not in there either.  I would classify this as
maintenance, not an enhancement.  Like retorquing bolts.  There are clamps
on some of these hoses already.

If it was in a maintenance bulletin from Mazda as a recommended item, would
it be legal?

>2.)  "Should not be illegal" doesn't mean that it isn't.

Let me rephrase that:  "Should not be illegal, IMHO".  It sounds like this
needs an official ruling, if it is such a big deal.  That would solve the
illegality issue, and "mean that it isn't".

>  3.)  We've NOT been talking about going to non-sequential turbo
>operation.  We've been talking about modifying the hose attachment
>method to prevent them from blowing off. Period.

Someone did mention this.  I just commented on it/explained it.  Sorry.  I
did not mean to imply that that is what you were talking about.

>  4.)  On the National level (and even in Chicago) the hoses haven't
>been glued, but rather zip/wire tied.

Is safety wiring of bolts legal?  I don't know.  Anyone?

Cheers,

Steve Cirian                       http://www.ScuderiaCiriani.com/rx7
                                                  Chicago Region SCCA
'95 RX-7 TT                                             Tri State SCC
#95 A Street Prepared                                        rx-7.net

    Anybody here want to drag Johnny a hundred yards for beers?

computer.