Re: RX-7 TT Hoses

To: <steve.cirian@us.pwcglobal.com>, <diesel@friendlynet.com>
Subject: Re: RX-7 TT Hoses
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:37:05 -0600
Steve quoth:

>I do not have the rule book with me, and would agree with you
that it is
>probably not in there.  However, there are probably hundreds of
other
>maintenance items not in there either.  I would classify this as
>maintenance, not an enhancement.

Now, that's a stretch. The car, as manufactured, is apparently
prone to blowing off a turbo hose, and adding a clamp or gluing
the hose prevents this from happening. Exactly what IS an
"enhancement" if this isn't?

> Like retorquing bolts.  There are clamps
>on some of these hoses already.

Technically speaking, adding a clamp to ANY hose where none was
originally placed by the manufacturer is illegal. For example, my
street car has a non-clamped PCV hose. If it had a habit of
blowing off, and I clamped it to prevent that, I would be
protestable in Stock. and rightfully so, IMHO. I'd certainly want
a way to fix the problem, but I'd also like 20-30 more lb/ft of
torque, 2" lower ride height, wider rims, etc. The Stock Category
rules won't let me have those things, either.

>If it was in a maintenance bulletin from Mazda as a recommended
item, would
>it be legal?

Yes. If Mazda issued a TSB of any sort recommending or allowing a
retrofit such as this for non-competition use, then following
this recommendation clearly would fall under the wording "as
specified by the manufacturer."

>>2.)  "Should not be illegal" doesn't mean that it isn't.
>
>Let me rephrase that:  "Should not be illegal, IMHO".  It sounds
like this
>needs an official ruling, if it is such a big deal.  That would
solve the
>illegality issue, and "mean that it isn't".

IMHO, no such ruling is required. This is clearly illegal as the
rules are presently worded. It would appear that the RX-7tt has a
possible Achilles heel, at least in Stock.

>>  4.)  On the National level (and even in Chicago) the hoses
haven't
>>been glued, but rather zip/wire tied.
>
>Is safety wiring of bolts legal?  I don't know.  Anyone?

Nope, unless the manufacturer did it to start with or put it into
a TSB, or the bolts in question are covered by an existing
allowance, like the front swaybar rule.

Jay "looks like Roger's onto something here" Mitchell