Re: [Alpines] Dual webers

To: =?utf-8?Q?=C2=A3auri?= <lehtinen.lauri@kolumbus.fi>,
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Dual webers
From: tom.hill@att.net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:12:48 +0000
Lauri,

I have done a good bit of research on the Holbay stuff and haven't ever seen a
Holbay branded manifold for the Series Alpine.  The Holbay head with the
smaller intake ports was developed for the H120.  So if a Holbay manifold does
exist for the Series Alpine, it wouldn't have the smaller intake ports that
align with the H120 head.  This all assumes you are looking for a manifold to
use with a Holbay head.  If not, the Redline manifold would work nicely with
on a standard Alpine head.  There is one up for auction on ebay now (with a
picture)  Item number 150328269296.

Tom
 -------------- Original message from B#auri <lehtinen.lauri@kolumbus.fi>:
--------------

I am quite sure there was a Holbay manifold for Series Alpines before H120 was
introduced.
Ron Tebo sent me a photo of such.
It seems to me that it is curved so that carbs rise upwards over the steering
box.

Lauri Lehtinen
journalist, engineer
mobile: +358 (0) 400 851988

-----AlkuperC$inen viesti-----
LC$hettC$jC$: tom.hill@att.net [mailto:tom.hill@att.net]
LC$hetetty: 25. helmikuuta 2009 16:44
Vastaanottaja: ?auri Lehtinen; alpines@autox.team.net
Aihe: Re: [Alpines] Dual webers

Hi Lauri,

Since the Holbay manifold was used on the Arrow body Alpine, the carbs will
actually point downward when installed on a Series Alpine.  It has straight
runners and, on a lefthand drive Alpine, it difficult to use because of the
brake master cylinder.  I have one that was cut and rewelded to provide a 5
deg upward angle for the carbs.  I was using a Wilwood master cylinder and it
barely fit.  I removed and reinstalled the engine and it would no longer fit.
The real interference point was the steering box.  I made some spacers to go
under the motor and transmission mounts to lift the engine slightly and it
still wouldn't fit.  I ended up getting the Redline manifold intended for the
Series Alpine and having the intake runners welded up to match the Holbay
head.

You can see some pictures of when it did fit at
http://www.tomhill.freeservers.com/photo4.html

Tom Hill