RE: What temp should I expect

To: hunber@bellsouth.net ("Jim Ellis"),
Subject: RE: What temp should I expect
From: PApple16@aol.com
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:20:01 -0400
Sounds like a head gasket to me. napa or any good tool truck has an Item (can't
remember the name) that is used to check for blown head gaskets. you have a
clear tube with a rubber cone on the bottom, and a hand powered vaccum pump on
the top. you add a couple of ounces of a blue liquid to the clear tube. run the
engine till close to operating temp, and stick the cone into the top of the
radiator, pump the ball on top of the tool. and it draws the air from the
cooling system through the blue liquid. if the color stays blue you do not have
a blown gasket. if it turns yellow, combustion gases have entered the cooling
system meaning a blown gasket or cracked block.

this tool was made for the early subaru cars, so you may find a mechanic at a
dealer who may have this tool. if I remember it wasn't too expensive.

paul in RI