Re: Crank

To: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Crank
From: Alex McGregor <awmcgregor@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:55:03 -0600
You guys make me feel old.

Back in the 60's (that's 1960's) I ran the family farm and had a MM tractor
that didn't have electric start, my brother still uses it a bit.  Crank +
magneto.  You had to worry about backfire and thumbs.  I also had an SI Alpine
that I ran all one summer with no starter, the crank worked fine.  It did need
battery,  otherwise you had to crank it fast enough to get the generator to
charge (about 1000 RPM).  In the winter I used to get someone to turn the
starter and then help it with the crank, Alpine starters don't turn the engine
over very fast at -20 or colder.

My current SI project has it's crank and I used it when I 1st started it after
14 years of storage.  Put some oil in each cylinder, turned it with the crank
to spread it around, replaced plugs and cranked it.  Then when it didn't start
I used the starter to do the hard work.

Try it, you'll never go back to electric.

Cheers

Al