Re: Crank

To: Lloyd Elliott <lloydel@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Crank
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:23:05 -0500
At 09:00 AM 2/28/02 -0800, Lloyd Elliott wrote:
>Can you really start an Alpine with a crank?  The owners manual refers to
>doing so, but does not give a procedure.  Might be nice if the battery is
>discharged.  How do you do it?

It will not work with a discharged battery if the car has an alternator, as
some current is required to "flash the field".

To start:

--  set handbrake (vital!)
--  put car in neutral (vital!)
--  pull choke out as needed by ambient temperature and conditions
--  turn ignition key to "on"
--  insert crank
--  turn crank  (be cautious -- when the engine catches, it will kick the
crank out of the bolt)
--  drive off or whatever

Yes, I have done this on my Series V a number of times, just to prove to
others that a road car marketed in 1967 still came with a hand crank.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!