Re: Questions on PCV Parts

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on PCV Parts
From: "Jon A." <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:07:45 -0600
There's one big problem in matching up a PCV valve for the Rootes engine. It
works in a rather unusual way, in that at idle (high manifold vacuum), the
valve is pulled completely shut, allowing a smooth idle. When the throttle
is opened, the valve starts opening as manifold vacuum drops, and is fully
open at full throttle. When I used to work for an auto parts store, I
searched and searched for a suitable replacement. I could find physical
replacements, but they didn't function the same. There was always flow even
at idle, throwing the mixture off. I never did find one that worked exactly
like the original.

Fortunately, the original valve CAN be disassembled and cleaned, and I even
managed to find a new spring for one once, though I'll be darned if I can
remember where I found it!

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA