RE: Overdrive oil

To: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>, unknown <ALPINES@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive oil
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:41:27 -0800
Tom

One thing that doesnt seem to have been mentioned is that
transmision oil (90wt), and engine oil (30wt) have different
test specifications, and that 90wt transmition oil has an
effective viscosity (at less than 100 deg C) of 40wt single vis.

Transmision lubricants have high sulfer content presumably as
a high pressure additive, that proved rather aggressive on some
materials, which is often why some manufacturers used engine oil
as a geartrain lubricant as opposed to higher pressure transmission
lubricants.

I doubt that the 90wt gear oil would be of functional consequence
to the overdrive, but rather might erode components within the rootes
transmision itself.

Jarrid