Re: Imps (was Spark plug gap)

To: Russell & Neola <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>
Subject: Re: Imps (was Spark plug gap)
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:51:14 +1000
Russ

Moffatt won the Touring Car champ. with the RX7 in 1983, after running 3rd in
1982.  One of it's greatest races though would have been Bathurst 1981, where
Moffat came 3rd in the shortened race.  He had worked his way up from about 9th
after the V8s swamped him at the start.  If the crash that stopped the race
hadn't blocked the track he would have been 2nd - with 43 laps (260 km) to go.
I always reckoned he would have then got past Dick Johnson, either on one less
fuel stop, better reliability, better handling of pressure or a combination of
all 3.

I would guess that the RX7 must have had about 300 bhp in race trim so even
allowing some loss for a roadable exhaust system, that must have been one quick
Imp.   I wonder if I could fit an injected, peripheral-ported, 13B rotary to the

Cheers

Vic