Tyres

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Tyres
From: "Rick Harrison" <beamertwo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:44:36 EST
Listers,

I've just come back from holidays - Olympics, etc and read the 2nd last
digest. I don't know how long it has been going, but the discussion about
tyres was interesting - the failures do not only apply to "original
equipment" tyres.
Many years ago I put a set of Avon Turbosteels on my Alpine - I think they
were quite new to Australia at the time - to have them fail through ply
separation. One of these I remember vividly because I was on my honeymoon at
the time - a vibration began to develop and continued to grow until we
stopped and found a rather egg-shaped rear tyre. The amazing thing was that
I managed to find an Avon dealership in Brisbane who carried tyres for Rolls
Royces, etc and normally didn't carry Turbosteels, but had one half-worn
tyre of the same size as mine! Three of my friends also bought Avons at the
time and had the same trouble.

The other interesting thing about the honeymoon trip was that the alpine ran
faultlessly for a few thousand miles - then, on the last day the screw that
holds one of the field coils in the generator in place fell out - the one
that you are supposed to use a press to remove!

Rick Harrison