Re: [6pack] Race Car Quandry

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Race Car Quandry
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:33:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Good theory, however the crack is actually on the outer flat between the
hub carrier and the spring pan. That said - I am running springs that are
roughly 600 pounds, so they are pretty stiff. The shocks are Armstrong
levers with the Apple Hydraulics HD option (in essence a stiffer shock on
both compression and rebound.) I have no shock numbers, but I'm pretty
confident that they are pretty closely matched to the springs.

I hve run the driver side suspension through the entire motion range and
there is binding no anywhere. It's smooth as butter.

There is no evidence of a hard compression (to the upper bump stop) and
I'm 100% sure the shock isn't binding.

I'm currently thinking that the trailing arm took a shot on that lower
edge sometime in an earlier life that left a chip or ding or something.
Interestingly, I have only two spare t/a's and one has marks right where
this crack is located on the lowere edge. It alsmost looks like toothmarks
from a floor jack.

The one thing that has me thinking otherwise is that the other trailing
arm has a similar crack that is much newer and much shorter (may .5 inch
total length).

I'm going to try to TIG 'em up with some reinforcement and keep and eye on
it while I prep the replacements... because of the Corvair hubs, there's
quite a bit of fettling to get everthing to fit. I also want to bead
blast the new ones so I can do a real crack test on them to be sure
that they are servicable.

But I'm playing with my cars and that's fun!

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489