RE: [6pack] TR6 Cylinder Heads and Lucas Petrol Injection

To: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@shoalsbritishcars.org>
Subject: RE: [6pack] TR6 Cylinder Heads and Lucas Petrol Injection
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:11:03 -0800
        Terry:

        The PI systems all used wide port spacing cylinder heads. The
head was milled for a 9.5:1 compression ratio. Early PI units used the
280 degree PI cam. Later PI engines used the 254 degree cam that was
used in the later carbureted North America motors. The PI motors also
used a higher ratio rocker arm, and used a special assembly to drive the
fuel distributor off the ignition distributor. PI motors came stock with
cold air induction, and a slightly taller rear end ratio. All PI cars
also had the dual exhaust found on the later North American Cars.
        Get John Williams book on restoring the TR6. There is a detailed
section on PI motors and how to restore them.
        Simply put, the PI motors got all the factory hot rod stuff that
North America did not get. As emissions requirements sapped the engine
output, the factory started adding the better parts to the motor to make
up the difference including the higher performance cylinder head, a
hotter cam, and the dual exhaust system. One thing the PI cars did NOT
get was the later, better flowing intake manifold for the carb models
(for obvious reasons).
        The thing that was killing the north American motors was the
dismal compression ratio, which got as low as 7.5:1. Surprisingly, the
carburetors are not a limiter to power until you reach about 140HP or
so, then Webers or a third Zenith start to pay off.

        Cheers,

        Vance