RE: [6pack] Got the bug tonight

To: Bob Danielson <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Got the bug tonight
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:50:30 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Bob Danielson wrote:

> Just curious.....why didn't you remove them as a unit?  Wouldn't it have
> been easier then separating the engine and tranny, removing the starter
> etc.?

I can't speak for Andy, but I do know from experience that removing the
engine and tranny as a unit necessitates having the car propped up fairly
high (I use the 6-ton floor stands to get the clearance under the car) so
you can tilt the tranny down to clear everything.

So, there's a tradeoff: pulling straight up (almost) with just the motor
or setting the car high and angling the motor / tranny out.

I've done both. If you have the access to the interior, pulling the parts
seperately is easier (especially when you're working alone). If you don't
have access to the interior, pulling / installing as a unit is a LOT
easier.

The one potential gotcha on the crane thing is to make sure the legs can
fully extend and when you're lifting make sure all 4 wheels stay in
contact with the ground. I've had the cranes tip over on almost flat
surfaces because the legs weren't out all the way. Another tip - when you
prop up the front of the car (for the all-in-one method), put the
jackstands back to around the area where the side frame rail meets the
inner frame rail and then slide the crane in/out to make sure you can get
it into position. If the jackstands are too far forward, you'll limit
where the crane can go and you can get into trouble.

FWIW, the inner fenders can survive a glancing blow when the crane tips.
But the will bend / dent if you drop the motor on them. Experience
talking.

> Bob Danielson
> 1975 TR6 CF38503U
> Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
> http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org

c ya,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489